Sunday, May 3, 2009

Yard Work with Dogs - It is an Adventure

Take four unexerisced sled dogs (okay one is not a sled dog, but she is a butthead), one shovel, and one woman who has decided that the back of the Red Lodge yard needs some landscape work. I dig, everyone digs (wherever). I pull out trees, Willow and Stratus grab tree play tug-of-war. I move rock, Stratus pees on rock, Lucy pees on rock, Walla pees on rock, Willow pees on rock. Who needs weed killer when you have dog pee. I take a break, Stratus takes a break on top of me in lawn chair. I drink some pop, Stratus drinks some pop. I go back to digging. Lucy goes back to digging, creating a new hole in middle of yard and fills my can of pop with dirt. I cut weed mat, Stratus steals scissors and plays RUNNING WITH SCISSORS (a teacher's worst nightmare) Willow doesn't want to be left out so she grabs weed mat and start playing keep-a-way from who knows who. Finally, I gave up. I imagine it is a lot like working in the garden with young children.

1 comment:

The Farmer's Wife said...

It's almost IDENTICAL, right down to peeing on the rocks and taking your tools.

When I first started planting, Molly, my dog, dug everything up. Today, when trying (in futility) to plant SIX pansies (yes, SIX...not a huge task...), we ended up with more stuff UNPLANTED than we actually got in the dirt!
I have a book called "The Gin and Tonic Gardener". I suspect the author had both kids and dogs....