Saturday, September 12, 2009

My Life with Dogs: Part II: Dog Proofing

 
Question: What does a part-time musher/garden use an old dog sled for? Fencing, of course.
In July my friend, Sheila, watered my tomatoes while we were on vacation. Upon my return, she asked, "What is with the chicken wire?" 
Well, I have found that it is extremely challenging to be a gardener and a dog owner at the same time. My dogs are very interested in gardening. Stratus is the most enthusiastic gardener at our house. He prefers to unplant and relocate young plants. After finding more than one new tomato plant in the middle of the yard, I had to come up with a plan. 
Solution: Chicken wire, dog sled, and zip-ties. 
This worked really well until the tomatoes started to look a lot like tennis balls. Lucy has become much more interested.
Now the tomatoes are turning red and in steps, Walla Walla, our fruit and vegetable eater. Walla seems to understand that when fruits became ripe it is best to eat it fresh, right off the vine. Last summer, she beat me to most of the raspberries and strawberries, now she is after the cherry tomatoes. 
Solution: more chicken wire.

1 comment:

The Farmer's Wife said...

Yeah, gardening with dogs is like gardening with kids....a token effort. I have both kids and dog, and it's a toss up, as to who does more damage.

I wonder if you could do a suspended garden. Sort of like the hanging gardens of Babylon, only not so grand and well known. Your tomatos would elegantly drape over the side, the pea vines climbing up, the lettuce looking like ruffles...ahh...now I want a hanging garden!

All in all, I'd rather have the dog and kids and all their destruction, than an immaculate yard and garden with no love...