Thursday, July 23, 2009

My LIFE with Dogs: Part One: Hair



I can't remember life without dogs. I grew up with dogs. They came in the house and were part of the family. There was always at least one dog in our home sometimes two but never more than that. We were not one of those families that had a certain breed of dog and we didn't pay a bunch of money for a dog. We went to the animal shelter and came home with whatever dog needed us on that day.

But it wasn't until I became a MOD (Mother of Dogs) I really began to understand what it means to LIVE with dogs, in particular, sled dogs.

First and foremost, it means HAIR!
Hair in, on, over, under and sometimes through everything. I eat hair, wear hair, and sometimes vacuum up hair (That is my cleaning guy's (aka Bryan) job).
At the Busch house we actually celebrate hair. Every time I brush Walla Walla I marvel at the fact that at one point in her life she was very sick and had very little hair. Even when she came to live with us she still had a very thin coat. Now she has a beautiful white and yellow coat. So here to HAIR!
Helpful MOD Hints for Dealing with Hair:
  1. Make sure all the dogs are the same color.
  2. Buy only clothes, carpet, and vehicles that match the dogs.
  3. Always leave the sliding door open when brushing dogs so most of the hair will fly into the house. (The cleaning guy loves that!)
  4. Get over it and move on. A little dog hair never hurt anyone.
Watch for: Part Two: Dog Proofing the House/Yard

2 comments:

The Farmer's Wife said...

This is great! We, too, have hair everywhere, because of pets. My dog, Molly, is an equal opportunity shedder, being black AND white, so no matter what it is we are wearing, she sheds the inverse color hair.

And we brush animals outside, even in the winter, because I'm too overwhelmed by the piles fur.

I was brushing the cats, a couple of weeks ago, and getting just wads of hair off them. Wayland, without thinking, said, "Boy, I'll bet those birds wish you had done that when they were making their nest." Somehow, I can't imagine a bird would want to line a nest with hair that smelled like their arch-enemy....

My family always had Border collies, and since I've started owning my own dogs, I can't imagine life without a Brittany. Of course, my family also lived 96 miles from the nearest pound, so we had to make a pretty good effort just to get a dog.

MTMare17 said...

THAT is the trick I forgot...having all the hair basically one color.
I too brush with the door open. I figure there is some bird out there who will enjoy the hair in their nest? It's a stretch, I know.