Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Last Great Race on Earth

Even if you are not a sled dog or a musher, you might really enjoy tracking the Iditarod Sled Dog Race that is currently in progress. Kim and Bryan seem to be checking the standings quite often.

Our friend, Ed Stielstra from Nature's Kennel (NK), is running in about the middle of the pack. (He owns the kennel that Lucy and Stratus came from.) Jake Berkowitz use to work for NK. Lucy was one of his favorites. Last year Jake ran the "B" for NK and Lucy's litter mates were on his team. This year Lucy's sister, Hoover, is running on NK's "B" team. A 4th grade teacher from Sun Valley, ID, Trent Herbst, is running that team.

List of mushers Kim watches is too long to list, but here are a few you might want to check out: Rachael Scdoris (visually-imparied musher), DeeDee Jonrowe (breast cancer surivor and one of the all time top women), Melissa Owens (last year she was the youngest musher to ever complete the Iditarod), Sebastian Schnuelle (won the Yukon Quest a couple of weeks ago and has hair like Bryan's -if Bryan had hair).

3 comments:

The Farmer's Wife said...

I have no idea about any of these mushers...my mushers mush bananas into the sofa, lipstick into my bedspread, and marshmallows into the cat's mouth....so I'm going to cheer for the one with Bryan's hair if he had any. Bryan is one of my favorite people. (At least he was at one time....)

Viva la Iditarod!

The Farmer's Wife said...

AND whoever deems the Iditarod the last great race on Earth has obviously not been camping with Bryan and Kim and heard "Last beer!". Now THAT'S the great race. Or for the last 4 squares on the endless roll of t.p. in their house. Bring it on, baby, bring it on!

(Am I the only person who comments on here?)

The Farmer's Wife said...

I AM the only one commenting!

How sad is that....?

I read the post, comment, retort to the comment, check back and defend the retort. I need a life.

And I think Bryan is still one of my favorite people. Just because I haven't seen him in 15 years does not diminish my adoration.